1. Rear Admiral V K Saxena was commissioned in the Indian Navy on 05 Mar 1985 after completing BE(Elec.) from Jabalpur University. He underwent the Staff Course at Defence Services Staff College, Wellington and was awarded M Sc. in Defence Studies from Madras University.He has also done prestigious Naval High Command Course in 2005.
2. He is the recipient of commendations by the Chief of the Naval Staff and Commander-in-Chief for his distinguished service to the Navy. He has the distinction of serving for over 06 years onboard frontline Destroyers, Ranjit, Ranvir & Ranvijay during early part of his career. He was selected as Commissioning Electrical Officer of INS Trishul built by Baltic Shipyard at St. Petersburg, Russia and underwent six months of specialized training at Russian Naval Academy. The various senior positions he has held in his long and distinguished career with the Indian Navy have provided Rear Admiral Saxena with a deep and well-rounded understanding of very many facets of warship building & ship repairs.
3. He has the distinction of serving over twelve years in both the premier Naval Dockyards of the Indian Navy at Mumbai and Vishakhapatnam in various ranks and capacities including General Manager (Refits) of Naval Dockyard, Mumbai. During these tenures, he was responsible for Installation, Commissioning and Repairs of varied technology equipment onboard ships/ submarines, planning, scheduling and management of refit/ repair of multiple warships for their optimal availability.
4. As Principal Director Ship Production at Naval Headquarters, he had handled various aspects of shipbuilding while managing multiple major contracts for construction of a number of warships both at Indian Shipyards (DPSUs & Private) and foreign shipyards, achieving delivery of 08 warships and 19 Fast Interceptor Crafts (FICs)/ Yard Craft. He was instrumental in initiating the cases for construction of Anti-Submarine Shallow Water Craft ( ASW-SWC) and Floating Dry Dock besides formulation of “Long Term Yard Craft Induction Plan” for construction of over 105 Yard Crafts for the Indian Navy.
5. On promotion to the Flag Rank, he was appointed as the Additional Director General, Project Seabird, the largest infrastructure Project of the Indian Navy. He played a key role in planning the road map for time bound implementation of this mega project.
6. During his last assignment as Project Director ( Submarine Construction), at HQ ATVP, he was closely associated with the construction of Strategic Submarines, a prestigious project of national importance.
7. Rear Admiral VK Saxena has taken over as Chairman & Managing Director of Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers, Kolkata, with effect from 01 Mar 17.