GRSE has always attached great importance to its social responsibilities as it is the firm belief of the Company that societal well-being is a pre-requisite for business prosperity. Over the years, social activities at GRSE have metamorphosed into a strategic business tool for inclusive growth. At a glimpse, few projects in the FY 11-12 are as follows:-
- Monthly Health Check-up Camp–Metiabruz/ Garden Reach area of Kolkata has inadequate healthcare infrastructure and facilities. The company is working towards providing basic healthcare facilities to the local community who are unable to bear medical expenses. Monthly health check up camps/ clinics are held in our 61Park unit on the last Saturday of every month in which more than 100 patients are provided medicines.
- Construction of Concrete Sports Gallery at Metiabruz High School playground – Metiabruz is a densely populated area and there is scarcity of children’s park and appropriate socio cultural infrastructure in the locality. To develop the community infrastructure of this area, the company has facilitated construction of a concrete sports gallery in the playground of Metiabruz High School which will be used by the school children and the people of the locality.
- Supply and Installation of Inverter and Battery towards Power Backup at Schools and Colleges of Metiabruz, Kolkata – The local schools face acute power shortage, in order to improve the school infrastructure and prevent disruption of classes, the company has facilitated in providing power backup systems to six local schools and one college.
- Supply and Installation of Water Purifier –cum-Coolers in schools and colleges of Metiabruz –The local area faces acute crisis of clean drinking water, especially the children studying in local schools and colleges. In order to improve the provision of drinking water in the educational institutions of the locality, the company is providing water purifiers cum coolers in six local schools and one college.
- Skill Development/Vocational Training Programme for Unemployed Youth of the locality in Metiabruz, Kolkata and Ranchi – A growing economy like India needs a large number of skilled workforce. Skill shortage is evident in every sector of the economy. Moreover, Education and Skill Development helps and individual improve the quality of life through gainful employment and earn a decent livelihood, thereby uplifting the society as well.
The company is facilitating vocational training to 1000 local unemployed youth of Metiabruz, Kolkata and Ranchi in the following modules:
- AC Repair & Maintenance
- Food and Beverage
- Media and Entertainment
- Automobile Service Technician
- Retail Skills
- Housekeeping Operations and Services
- Front Office Operations
- Beautician Course
To achieve the above objective, the company has partnered with Bengal Engineering and Science University (BESU), a premier engineering University renowned for its excellence in teaching and research in engineering and applied sciences under whose tutelage the vocational/entrepreneurial skills are being imparted to the unemployed youth of Metiabruz, Kolkata The NGO Manthan Yuva Sansthan is imparting vocational training at Ranchi. This project is aimed at propelling a local community, predominantly a minority community towards growth and prosperity.
- Cataract Surgery for the Poor and Needy people of Metiabruz, Kolkata and Ranchi –There is an acute dearth of specialized healthcare facilities in the locality. Cataract has been identified as a major health problem and the local people in the higher age group suffer the most. The company has engaged M/s National Eye Care to conduct cataract surgery and provide spectacles to 500 local poor people. By this initaitive, the quality of life of the local citizens will improve.
- Infrastructure Development to Rehabilitate Victims of Cloud Burst at Leh- Ladakh Region – M/s Hindustan Prefab Ltd., has been carrying out infrastructure development project at Leh- Ladakh Region (J&K) to rehabilitate the people affected by cloud burst on 05 and 06 Aug 2010. The company has facilitated construction of 50 toliet com bathrooms at Solar Colony of Leh.
- Indian Institute of Cerebral Palsy –The company partners Indian Institute of Cerebral Palsy by adopting classes in their special school consisting of differently abled children with various degrees of disability. During the year under reporting, the company has adopted the following classes :
- Education Development Unit – IV comprising of 12 children
- Education Development Unit – V comprising of 14 children
- Support to Widows Rehabilitation Programme of IHQ,MOD(Navy)- The company has assisted the social initiative of Indian Navy to construct a Naval Widows Hostel and Vocational Training Centre. The proposed Naval Widows Hostel Facility is being constructed at Vasant Kunj, New Delhi and shall house 30 dwelling units and a fully functional Vocational Training Centre. The dwelling units would be utilized for housing widows and their children so that they can pursue their ongoing education. The Vocational Training Centre would be integral to the ‘Widows Hostel’ and would provide the requisite knowledge and expertise to widows and enable them to seek gainful employment.
- Support to Voice of World, NGO –GRSE has supported Voice of World, which runs a residential school for visually impaired children at Behala, destitute home for girls at Thakurpukur and destitute home for boys at Saltighat by providing winter bedding items like blankets, mosquito nets, mattresses and bed sheets for the inmates so that the children can tide over the winter months comfortably.
- Annual Children Treat-The children are the future of any country and child rights are a concern for both national and international community. The company as part of its obligation has undertaken initiatives that can cater to the well being of the children. The company regularly sponsors the Annual Children’s Treat organized for slum children by the Rotary Club of Calcutta. The Annual Children’s Treat was last held on 28 Nov 11.
- Blood Donation Camp – A gift of blood is a gift of life, especially to patients suffering from Thalassaemia, Haemophilia or the victims of road accident. There is acute shortage of blood in blood banks. In order to supplement the crisis of fresh blood and to contribute as socially responsible citizens, blood donation camps are regularly organized by the company. In this regard, a blood donation camp was held on 9 Feb 2012 at Medicare Centre, Main Works where 135 personnel donated blood.